Editor: April Kalogeropoulos Householder, Ph.D. (McFarland Publishers)
No other president in history has used (and denounced) the media more than Donald Trump. This volume will explore media in popular culture and its responses to Trump-era rhetoric, policies, and politics. By investigating social media, film, television, and other media, it will address the ways in which popular culture reflects, responds to, and resists the gendered politics of the Trump presidency, and the role that feminism plays in the context of these times. Methods may include: close readings, analyses of the political economies of the production/distribution/reception of texts, comparative/historical analyses, subversive uses of media, etc. This volume is intersectional.
Topics may include:
- The rise of the reboot (Roseanne, Queer Eye, Will and Grace, The L Word, countless film remakes- what does this say about the current media landscape?)
- “Fake news”, Fox News, journalism, etc.
- Trump TV franchises- The Apprentice, Miss Universe/USA
- Hillary Clinton, debates, etc.
- Women’s March on Washington
- Trump’s tweets, other social media
- Meme-makers, podcasts
- Feminist social media- #MeToo, #BelieveWomen, #TimesUp, #ImWithHer, #YesAllWomen, #MasculinitySoFragile, #NotYourAsianSideKick, #BlackGirlsAreMagic, etc.
- Impeachment inquiry coverage
- Analyses of the Kavanaugh/Blasey-Ford Supreme Court nomination hearings
- Representations of bodies- disabilities, masculinities (Mr. Robot?), fat studies (Trump’s on-going public feud with Rosie O’Donnell? Lena Dunham?), trans/gender non-conforming bodies
- Immigration/international themes/”The wall”/Latinx representation
- LGBTQ+ themes- Killing Eve, Black Orphan, OITNB, Gentleman Jack, The Politician, etc.
- Activists/artists who use media to resist
- Trump’s women- Ivanka, Melania, Stormy Daniels, Kellyanne Conway, Sarah Sanders, etc.
- Reproductive health/rights
- Reality TV/talent shows/dating shows/survivor shows/home improvement shows
- Crime/law shows; Superhero shows/films; Hospital/doctor shows
- Late night talk shows/SNL
- NFL football/Kapernick/USNWT- Megan Rapinoe, equal pay, etc.
- Get out, Us
- Period TV- Game of Thrones, Westworld, Downton Abbey, Stranger Things, etc.
- Ethnic/race/subaltern themes- Blackish, Fresh Off the Boat, Empire, This is Us, Surviving R. Kelly, Shonda Rhimes, etc.
- Sit coms- 2 Broke Girls, Mike and Molly, etc.
*These are just some ideas- send your insightful research and scholarship!
Deadline to send 250 word abstract and author bio: Feb. 1, 2020.
Authors whose chapters have been accepted for publication will be notified in May, and the completed manuscript will be due by December, 2020.